Thursday, February 3, 2011

I will begin this memory blog about Grandma Schantz by telling you that I sent cousin Sherryann an email asking for her favorite fragrance. She said "gingerbread" and that reminded me of Grandma's molasses cookies. I asked and yes, Sherry remembered them too. Then we started emailing our memories back and forth. It was such fun that I decided to set up a blog page for all our cousins and their families to see and participate in....so feel very free to comment with your own memories. Here are some of Sherry's memories:

I remember picture of Grandpa that Grandma took everywhere, where ever she was, that picture was beside her every night. She told me she would kiss him goodnight every night.
I remember peeling peaches on the back porch and Grandma telling me to peel them closer, in order to get more peach...she would say "if you are going to do something, do it the best you can".
Chicken pot pie!....meat pies w/gravy...creme de menthe....those beautiful things in the china cabinet w/the curved glass doors. Grandma's shoes!!! especially the white ones w/laces, mesh on the sides...shoes she wore when I was little...I loved those shoes!
Orange pound cake w/chocolate icing.
One year, I must have been in my early 20's, I drove her from Okla to Penn....we were driving through Tennessee I think and there was a beautiful sunset...she just looked at it for the longest time and then said, "Sherry, look at that beauty, hold it in your mind, it will be with you always".
Some would say that after losing her husband, and her home, she had so little in material things, traveled all over the US staying with so many different families and did it in a few suitcases....but she had SO MUCH!!!...she always seemed so full, and loved life and gave thanks in her own quiet way for all the blessings.
Oh, yes, remember Moravian sugar cakes on Easter morning!!! Aunt Barbara would go to church really early and make large pans of Moravian sugar cakes...the smell was heavenly. Easter always has that smell for me.
Hess Bros Dept Store...pretzels in the big brown cans....cream soda...how she smelled..so clean & fresh...how she always put on earrings, every morning, first thing.

Yes, Sherry, I do remember most of those things, especially her earrings every morning. When I got married (the first time!) she gave me two pieces of advice: (1) Brush your hair, put on lipstick and earrings EVERY morning before you kiss your husband goodbye. You don't want him to remember you looking like you just woke up! and (2) When you get angry, count every tooth in your mouth with the tip of your tongue before you speak!

Sage advice for sure!!! Today I brush my hair, put on my makeup and earrings and go to work before I kiss my husband goodbye as I head off to work! Hahaha. Not many of us are stay at home wives/mothers anymore. And I have definitely learned to hold my tongue when I'm angry. I actually counted my teeth many times before I understood what she was trying to tell me....THINK! Thanks, Gram.

WHAT DID YOU CALL GRANDMA? Gram, Grandmother, Grandma, Gramma, Queenie? Share your memories in a comment. Much love to you, and may the love of God (as shared through our Grandmother) be with you always!

Sandy

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post, Sonja, it reminded me of Grandma's feet. They were slightly deformed and she had to wear special shoes all her life. She never complained about her feet but I knew they hurt her. And I knew her back also hurt her, although she never complained about that either. One year we took the kids and Gram to Disney World. I wanted to rent a wheelchair for Gram (she was about 86) and I told her we would all take turns pushing it so she would be able to enjoy the day and so would we. But she absolutely refused. She walked the whole park, and managed to keep up with us! I think she was powered by angel wings! When it was dark, after the fireworks, we were walking out of the park and I said "Ohhhhh, my feet are burning! I know your feet must be on fire too, Gram!" And she said "Oh, I told that fire to get behind me long ago. I don't have time for it!" When we got home we soaked our feet in the pool and then I sat on the floor and massaged her feet with AsperCreme. Whenever MY feet hurt, I'd rub hers!
    No matter what it was, pain, anger, fatigue, or Satan, Gram always shoo'd it away with Jesus' words, "Get thee behind me!" I do that now, but I'm not as good at it as she was. She had a close, intimate relationship with Jesus! I'm still working on it! Thanks, Sonja...what a happy memory. 143!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone. This is Sonja, great grandaughter of Ethel May Brooks Schantz, grandaughter of Virgina (Betty Valkenburg), daughter of Sandy!! I remember Grandma Schantz coming to stay with us often. I LOVED it. She would make my bed for me in the mornings :). We would play skipbo every night and she would drink her 1/2 cup of coffee every morning. Words of wisdom over the years from Grandma that I carry with me today and have passed on to my children:

    As a teenager, when I grumbled or complained she would tell me to say "Shoo, Satan! get behind me, I don't have time for you today!" She would say this as she swatted at the air behind her. She made me mimic her and then we would both laugh. It always made me feel better. She was sooo precious. Something else that she taught me that I leaned on heavliy during a very dark period in my life (when my hubby was in and out of the hospital and I had three small babies and SO much to do)-- She would tell me that when she folds the laundry instead of thinking about how she didn't want to do it and grumble she would use the opportunity to pray for the person whose item of clothing she was folding. And when she was doing dishes that she'd rather not do she said she would begin thanking God for the family that ate from the plates and for the food that was on them and that would begin a prayer of thankfulness. I can not tell you how many times during my life, especially when my kids were young, that I have stood over a sink FULL of dishes or baskets full of laundry- overwhelmed and just begun praying and remembering Grandma. IT WORKS!
    Some of my most speacial memories are sitting in the back yard with our feet dangling in the pool and when we were at our condo at the beach and Grandma and I would walk and collect shells for hours. She would tell me stories of all of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I didn't have the opportunity to see many of you very often and her stories always made me feel closer to you. She loved us ALL so much. I miss her a lot. She had a HUGE impact on my life and blessed me immensely. Some blessings last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember she loved little mice..... She bought me one once and we named it Ethal after her! She was the very best I have a great letter she wrote me when I was a baby just have to figure out to post it! Love to all
    Ashley Plemons
    Great Granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley: Can you scan the letter and email it to me? or can you type it and email it to me? That way I can just type it in as a comment from you. I don't know why things aren't posting for anyone but me....will try to figure that out. So far, I am getting the posts on email and have to copy and paste them here. Thanks for your comment, sweetheart! Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the china closet in my kitchen and the picture of she and Pop-Pop is on the top shelf.It also holds my doll from Radio City Music Hall, my mother's mug and mine that Pop-Pop made, and an angel salt and pepper shaker he made. Oh and don't forget that yellow cornucopia, I have always loved! I also have a very large coffee cup and saucer that was his. Of course there are a few things Queenie bought me like a honey pot etc. but nothing as important as the things from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments on my blog page.